Tuesday, October 4, 2011

1988 Larrivee Custom RS-2 CM / RS2 CM

1988 Larrivee Custom RS2-CM / RS-2 CM




Currently my favorite guitar, and the one being played the most in the studio. Born on 6/7/1988 in Vancouver Canada , this Custom (curly maple) topped RS2 is an absolute dream to play. The neck is (super) fast, and even faster than my custom Jackson-necked Strat. The odd thing about this guitar is the neck pickup (offset) and no middle pup. Normally, these guitars came with two singles in a standard configuration with the humbucker in the bridge.



Fit and finish is on par with a custom shop Fender, PRS, or Gibson. The quality is 'over the top' notch on this axe, even the maple cap on top is very thick, nicely matched etc. The neck is bound, and the body is an arch top with cut away around the horns sort of like a PRS. I love this guitar. I'll never sell it. The tone is amazing, and she out plays all the Gibsons and Fenders I've played. Seriously. Sometimes you just find a guitar that 'clicks' with you, and this is it for me. I'm not a big fan of the Floyd Rose on there, wasn't really my preference but it does allow you to do some pretty wild Steve Hackett tremolo stuff. This is my #1 lead guitar and I love this axe for playing Hackett, Gilmour ... screaming blues stuff mainly. Kee Marcelo played an RS2 as well, and he was a very (fast) and accurate player. I love this guitar so much it makes me fuzzy inside when I think about her.  I should have a photo on here of the guitar from the back side, but it's amazingly playable and accessible --"smooth sailing" here dudes.



The neck pup sounds a lot like a 'vintage strat' knock off... so you get those wonderful clean tones, but with a really ripping (hot, hot) hum-bucker in the bridge position. I get better tone as well as sustain out of that stock Larrivee humbucker than I do out of the Gibson '57 Classics, (correction, this is actually a DiMarzio pickup in the bridge, not a Larrivee pup) -  the DiMarzio DP192, etc.. Larrivees are awesome guitars, but usually known for their high quality acoustics - and I can only see what small # of solid bodies that they did make - going up in value (big time) once they are discovered probably 5 to 10 years from now when they're (really, really rare) which this one already is.




The only modification to this guitar was the addition of a oil tone capacitor ( MOD ) .0022uf. It didn't change the tone all that much, possibly due to the fact that this guitar uses a concentric tone POT which has a middle point (at 250K) and when turned all the way up it's (500K) ... so you get the best of both Strat and Humbucker tones. It pretty much stays on 500k though.

1 comment: